December 21, 2008
If you’re like me, Christmas is an equal opportunity giftfest — which means that everyone in the house, animals included (like my sweetie-Gulliver, below), gets gifted.
Got a furry friend in your home? Have a pal whose four-legged sidekick deserves a special treat? No sweat, my pet. Here’s a quick roundup of DIY gifts that can make any animal lover’s Christmas the cat’s meow.
FOR THE FLUFFIES
- Kitty Condo. Swank it up for your favorite feline with this multilevel highrise. Via ReadyMade.
- Corrugated Scratching Post. Face it: Little Kitty gotta scratch, yo. Via ReadyMade.
- Knitted Catnip Dim Sum. Watch your cat get crazy with slippy, slidey, grippy, ‘nippy toys made with love. Via knitty.com.
- Landfill-Bounds. No link for these DIYs, dovies, ‘cuz they are too easy. Think about gifting Catface with a trove of trashy treasures. Gulliver and Domino’s favorites:
Old wine corks — they bounce! they slide! they stink like fermented things!
Balls of tinfoil stuffed with catnip — wild, man, wild.
Dried leaves — they float and fly and taste like the outside.
Rubberbands — fire á la fifth grade and watch ’em soar!
Empty Satsuma mandarin boxes — the perfect size for snuggling.
FOR THE FIDOS
- Mini-Dog Carrier. Looks like a tiny circus tiger cage, right down to the red trim and wooden “bars.” Plush it out with faux shearling, and your Poochiepoo can ride in style. Via ReadyMade.
- Peanut Butter Doggy Biscuits. I’m told that dogs like PB, and I know that they like biscuits. How can you go wrong? Via Sugarlaws.
- Quilted Canine Jacket. A project that is not for the faint of heart, but yowser! Bowser will look like the Queen of the Nile (or the King of Spain) in this awesome, almost asymmetrical warmer. Via ReadyMade.
- Tennis Ball Toys. Traditional tennis ball tossing totally played out? Check out this handful of projects that will keep Canine happy, and keep you from that playtime breakdown. Via Planet Green.
And, for those whose pets boast fins or feathers, a few fish and fowl DIYs:
September 19, 2008
You heard right! According to Adrienne at Apartment Therapy, St. Bernies love living small. So do Mastiffs and, believe it or not, Great Danes.
While the Living Smallers are feline fanatics (okay, Persian feline fanatics), we both bear soft Spots (pun intended) for the Fidos and Rexes out there. So, when I clicked through to this post about little-lovin’ doggies, I got a bit of a hankering for my own small space pooch. Here are the breeds AT recommends, based on their tolerance for small spaces and their love of the great indoors:
- Bichon Frise
- Bassett Hound
- Great Dane
- St. Bernard
My pick? The Mastiff or the Bichon. I want either a big dog or a dog with big hair, I suppose.
What kind of animal(s) do you have? Are you a puppy person? A cat addict? Into iguanas? A fan of fish? Rabid for rats?
(Okay. I’ll stop now.)