June 1, 2009
Eating outside is one of my little life’s biggest luxuries. Whether it’s on the porch (like at the in-law’s Rustication Station, a.k.a., their house) or in the park, in the light or in the dark, I will eat outside, oh yes. I will eat outside.
So, here’s one of my favorite picnic recipes, which my Sweet Babu makes in gallons in the summertime. Do enjoy this most easy dish.
- 1/2 head of cabbage. Green, purple, whatever, though a quarter-head of each makes for pretty presentation.
- 3 fresh broccoli stems. The florets are okay to add, too, if you want.
- 3 big ol’ carrots. Juicy vitamin A!
- 1 or 1 1/2 crispy apples, julienned or cubed. We like Fujis.
- Apple cider vinegar, plus some salt and pepper, to taste
Run all the ingredients through a food processor. Alternatively, chop them to cole-slaw size. In a big bowl, combine the fruit and veggies with the apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper, to your desired taste. You can add a dash of sugar, too, if you want some salt-sweet balance.
What are your favorite outdoor eats?